Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Failure of Consevative Americans

I love cars, and that's the reason why I usually watch the cars on streets whenever I have the chances. One thing attracts my attention is the popularity of the Japanese cars right in the U.S which is known as a paradise for carmakers.Years ago, American automotive manufacturers as GM, Ford and Chrysler were the dominators on the auto market. The biggest market were on the hands of these giants, and no one could compete with them. However, this number one position was changed rapidly in the past decade. The acceding of Japanese carmakers such as Honda and Toyota has push several American traditional manufacturers into bankruptcy hole in which some of them had to receive the help of government to be existed.
I usually go working out at the Lake Merrit. One day after parking my car, I looked at the cars parking along the pavement. Can you imagine what I realized? I saw 12 cars, and 9 of them were Honda brand. What does this figure represent? I tried to think of the points that create the spectacular victory for the Japanese in the traditional industry of American in the U.S. Here is what I came up with:
The mother mistake that caused the whole industry to collapse was the conservation of the leaders among GM and Ford. GM and Ford was lead by a conservative generation that insisted the ancient value of Americans. They respected the workers too much and gave them too many benefits, too much power which became a big burden for the companies' budget. In addition, the conservatism obstructed the development, the adaption and the ability to make changes that are extremely important in the global economic environment today. As a result, they manufactured the products that did not match the consumers' demands. The SUVs were still their major product lines while the gas price was going up. In contrast, the Japanese carmakers make small, easy-to-use, save-gas, run-well cars with great exterior and reasonable prices. With those problems lasted for long time, the failure of American carmakers was an inevitable consequence.
Recently, GM and Ford start making the small cars, and I increasingly see them running on streets. It is a wonderful sign for the rehabilitation of one of the biggest pride of the world-leading country.

No comments: